Unit description of WACE Maths Specialist Unit 3 Year 12 ATAR Course
WACE Maths Specialist Unit 3 Year 12 ATAR Course contains three topics: Complex numbers, Functions and sketching graphs and Vectors in three dimensions. The study of vectors was introduced in Unit 1 with a focus on vectors in two-dimensional space. In this unit, three-dimensional vectors are studied and vector equations and vector calculus are introduced, with the latter extending students’ knowledge of calculus from the Mathematics Methods ATAR course. Cartesian and vector equations, together with equations of planes, enables students to solve geometric problems and to solve problems involving motion in three-dimensional space. The Cartesian form of complex numbers was introduced in Unit 2, and the study of complex numbers is now extended to the polar form.
The study of functions and techniques of graph sketching, begun in the Mathematics Methods ATAR course, is extended and applied in sketching graphs and solving problems involving integration. Access to technology to support the computational aspects of these topics is assumed.
Learning outcomes of WACE Maths Specialist Unit 3 Year 12 ATAR Course
By the end of this unit, students:
- understand the concepts and techniques in vectors, complex numbers, functions and graph sketching
- apply reasoning skills and solve problems in vectors, complex numbers, functions and graph sketching
- communicate their arguments and strategies when solving problems
- construct proofs of results
- interpret mathematical information and ascertain the reasonableness of their solutions to problems.
Mathematics Specialist ATAR Course
Year 12 Syllabus
Western Australia School Curriculum and Standards Authority
1 January 2015
- transformation of Hyperbola
- Transformations of Cubic Graphs
- Transformations of Quartic Graphs
- Trsnaformations of Power Functions
- Trsnaformations of Square Root Functions
- Trsnaformations of Absolute Value Functions
- Trsnaformations of Quadratic Graphs
- Transformation of Parabola Symmetrical to y-axis
- Transformation of Parabola Symmetrical to x-axis