Year 7 Mathematics Topics
Number and Algebra of Year 7 Mathematics
Number and Place Value
- Investigate index notation and represent whole numbers as product of powers of prime numbers.
- Investigate and use square roots of perfect square numbers.
- Apply the associative, commutative and distributive laws to aid mental and written computation.
- Compare, order, order, add and subtract integers.
- Compare fractions using equivalence. Locate and represent positive and negative fractions and mixed numbers on a number line.
- Solve problems involving addition and subtraction of fractions, including those with unrelated denominators.
- Multiply and divide fractions and decimals using written strategies and digital technologies.
- Express one quantity as a fraction of another, with and without the use of digital technologies.
- Round decimals to a specified number of decimal places.
- Connect fractions, decimals and percentages and carry out simple conversions.
- Find percentages of quantities and express one quantity as a percentage of another, with and without digital technologies.
- Recognise and solve problems involving simple ratios.
Money and Financial Mathematics
- Investigate and calculate ‘best buys’, with and without digital technologies.
Patterns and Algebra
- Introduce the concept of variables as a way of representing numbers using letters.
- Create algebraic expressions and evaluate them by substituting a given value for each variable.
- Extend and apply the laws and properties of arithmetic to algebraic terms and expressions.
Linear and non-linear Relationships
- Given coordinates, plot points on the Cartesian plane, and find coordinates for a given point.
- Solve simple linear equations.
- Investigate, interpret and analyse graphs from authentic data.
Measurement and Geometry of Year 7 Mathematics
Using Units of Measurement
- Establish the formulas for areas of rectangles, triangles and parallelograms and use these in problem solving.
- Calculate volumes of rectangular prisms.
- Draw different views of prisms and solids formed from combinations of prisms.
Location and Transformation
- Describe translations, reflections in an axis, and rotations of multiples of 90 degrees on the Cartesian plane using coordinates. Identify line and rotational symmetries.
- Use the language, rotation and conventions of geometry.
- Recognise the geometric properties of angles at a point.
- Identify corresponding, alternate and co-interior angles when two straight lines are crossed by a transversal. Investigate conditions for two lines to be parallel and solve simple numerical problems using reasoning.
- Classify triangles according to their side and angle properties and describe quadrilaterals.
- Demonstrate that the angle sum of a triangle is 180 degrees and use this to find the angle sum of a quadrilateral.
- Use angle properties and relationships to solve problems with appropriate reasoning.
Statistics and Probability of Year 7 Mathematics
- Construct sample spaces for single-step experiments with equally likely outcomes.
- Assign probabilities to the outcomes of events and determine probabilities for events.
Data Representation and Interpretation
- Identify and investigate issues involving numerical data collected from primary and secondary sources.
- Construct and compare a range of data displays including stem-and-leaf plots and dot plots.
- Calculate mean, median, mode and range for sets of data. Interpret these statistics in the context of data.
- Describe and interpret data displays using median, mean and range.